Monday, October 1, 2012



                     Miracles in Rego Park :)


Date: October 1, 2012
Area: Rego Park, Jamaica




Querida Familia,
This week theme was Miracle :) There really are miracles that happen every day. We just have to know where to look! Monday night we were able to go and look up people to teach. We stopped and talked to this man on the street who has been having a hard time and trying to find a job and a home. We were able to bear testimony to him of the Book of Mormon and how much it has blessed and helped both of us in our own lives. We went ahead and left him with a prayer and when we finished the prayer and opened up our eyes, there was another man standing there and he ended and said, Amen. I love more than anything bearing testimony of the Book of Mormon. It has changed my life and ANY one who reads it will come closer to their savior and have the strength to keep the commandments and to stay on the path. That is something that I love about the Book of Mormon, if we read it and study it EVERY day we will not fall. I challenge any of you reading this to start if you have not already to study the Book of Mormon. I promise you greater peace and happiness than you have ever had and strength to stay on the path! Try it :)
Wednesday we were able to have a street sweep. What that means is that we stand on the street corner and invite people to the table to sign up for a Free Copy of the Book of Mormon. It was a harder street sweet getting rejection after rejection after rejection. However like I have said before....it is always worth it for that One! Ok so as I was bearing testimony about the Book of Mormon, a lady came up to me. She then told methat 2 Elders from the Bronx came to her house just the night before. My heart was filled with joy. I then began bearing testimony of the Book of Mormon and how it really does answer the questions of our souls. ( Thanks to Elder Hall, I have been able to focus on that one more after his workshop.) She then asked me why there was so much opposition in this world. I then bore testimony of the power of the Book of Mormon and how it answers all questions. She then kept asking me if I could give her any other chapters to read. She then looked down sadly and said, "I dont even have the Book yet to be able to look up those chapters." I then looked at Hermana Chipman and she was holding a Book of Mormon in English! I rejoiced and told her to come over. We then were both able to bear testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ and his infinite atonement. We gave her the book and she was SO happy! She gave us the biggest hug and was So happy to begin reading the chapters that we told her had helped us so much in our lives. The spirit with the Book of Mormon is our most powerful tool.
We were able to meet with Carmen - the Domincan who came to church last week. We were able to teach her the Plan of Salvation. At first we were only going to teach her the first half of the plan but then we saw that she was really understanding it. We were able to teach her the entire plan. I asked her how she felt at the baptisimal service that she attended the week before and she said, " I felt good, because I knew that it would not be long before I will be baptized." My heart was going to burst. It made me so happy! She really is beggining to recognize the spirit and feel its witness of truth. We invited her to be baptized towards the end of October and she was able to pray right there and ask Heavenly Father if that is what he wanted. There is SUCH power in prayer and I am Eternally grateful that we have a loving father in Heaven who really does hear and answer our prayers. Pray is Real!
Friday we were able to have the Talent Show. We invited Carmen and as we were walking to the talent show we heard from behind us, " Hermanas". It was Carmen herself! The Talent show was a great success and the members were really good at fellowshipping Carmen. The Missionarys, we were able to act out the Tree of life story from the Book of Mormon. I have read this story a million times and every time I seem to learn something new. It is interesting you know we all are given that chance to accept or reject the gospel of Jesus Christ. The fruit is the Love of God, and as it says in the Scriptures that the Love of God was and is the MOST desireable of all. We all want to feel loved in life, and it is most important to feel our Saviors Love. Jesus Christ died for us, and ALL that he asks is that we keep his commandments. Its simple. As the Savior Says, "If ye love me keep my commandments." There are MANY people everyday that ask me, "Why did you leave your family and home for a year and a half." And my response is this, " I love my Savior Jesus Christ, I know that he died for me and suffered for my sins, the least that I can do is serve my brothers and sisters." I love the quote in Preach My gospel that says, something around the lines that when we truly understand the atonement our desire to share the gospel INCREASES. It is so True! The atonement and our savior Jeuss Christ is Central to EVERYTHING that we teach!
Alright so Saturday was AMAZING!!! We had a street sweep and then went to go and look up people and no one was home and our appointment "juked us". However the night ended with going to Woodside for the relief society broadcast! It was so good to see all the members from Jamaica and Flushing! Right before the meeting we were able to sit down and have refreshments . Then we walked into the meeting and you will NEVER guess who I saw. I looked and saw Hermana Ayala and Giovanna!! Giovanna was an investigator that I taught while in Flushing and Hermana Ayala is her mom.We hugged and we both shed tears of Joy! You have NO idea how happy it made me to see them! They have both come so far! During the broadcast Giovanna leans over to me and said, " I want to be BAPTIZED!" I said "What!?!" haha you have NO idea how happy that made me! Not only that, at the end of the meeting Hermana Ayala said," Come outside I have a surprize for you!" I then went outside and saw Alexandra and Juliana my two recent converts! I hugged them and we all shed tears of Joy! Hermana Ayala pulled me aside and said, " Hermana Gray tomorrow I am going to be called to be Relief Society President!" My heart was going nuts! You have to be kidding me?! She gaveme the biggest hug and told me, " Thank you for EVERYTHING that you have done for me and my family, for loving us and being patient! You have been SUCH a blessing in our family!" Its moments like these when I know that a mission is EXACTLY where I need to be! There is NO greater calling than being a missionary!
Sunday was also amazing! Fast Sunday- I love fast Sundays! We were able to meet with Yenny and Oscar and long story short they decided that they were going to get married!!! I think that I was more in shock than anything! I did not know what to say lol. They need your prayers so keep them in your prayers. We are hoping for the end of October and then Yenny can get baptized :) Also recieved a text that Giovanna wants to get baptized October 14th!! Life could not be better! Missionary life is the BEST life!
I love my Savior! I am Eternally grateful that I have this blessed opportunity to serve a mission for my savior and wear his name on my chest. I love testifying of this gospel, the savior and his atonement and the restoration of the Gospel! This is the True Church! Baptism is the doorway to Eternal life and enduring to the end is how we stay on the path! Through daily prayer, scripture study especially from the Book of Mormon and attending church. I love you Family I pray for you daily!
Stay Strong and like they said in Relief society broadcast. " Keep the Faith!"
I love you all!!
Hermana Gray

President Monson says: “The Lord emphasized the worth of each man or woman, youth or child when He declared:
“‘The worth of souls is great in the sight of God. …
“‘And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!
“‘And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!’ (D&C 18:10, 15–16).”

No comments:

Post a Comment